If you’ve got a new ukulele for Christmas or are considering taking up playing one, you’ll soon find there are lots of on-line resources to help you, whatever your level:
- Two useful free guides for beginners can be found from Ukulele Hunt‘s Alistair Wood – So You’ve Just Got Your First Ukulele & Ukulele Tricks‘ Brett McQueen – Your First Ukulele Lesson and Then Some.
- Last year we published a Twelve Days Of Ukemas guide to give you different things to try out over the holiday period, recommending some of the most useful sites and reliable tutors, suitable from total novice to intermediate & advanced players, and in many styles of playing, teaching & music genres. Check out each day for much more detail:
|Day & Summary||Day & Summary|
|01 – Helmut Bickel – Fingerstyle||02 – New Uke For Xmas – Useful sources|
|03 – Bernadette’s 30 Day Challenge||04 – Songs & Songbooks – eg MUJ|
|05 – James Hill’s Ukulele Way||06 – Danno Sullivan – Play It Daily|
|07 – Cynthia Lin – Tutorials||08 – Phil Doleman’s Two Minute Tips|
|09 – Samantha Muir – Classical Uke||10 – Ten Thumbs Productions – Tutorials|
|11 – Richard Hefner – ezFolk Lessons||12 – Stuart Fuchs – Tips & Tutorials|
- Have a general look around this website, as we pick out a wide selection of our favourite tools & tips, on-line uke lessons, songbooks, chords, music theory, forums, equipment & other website resources. In particular, my musings on what helped me when I first got my uke as a complete beginner may prove a useful summary if you’re totally new to playing.
- Joining a local group is always a boost – whether you are a beginner, improver or expert player. We’re a very friendly club based in Lewisham which meets every Tuesday for free jamming sessions. Everyone is welcome & we pride ourselves from having members from all over London, Kent & Surrey. We’re back strumming in the New Year from Tue 7 Jan 2020. Contact us for more details.
- If you aren’t near Lewisham, do check out the Mighty Ukulele for Londonwide gigs, events & UK clubs or Uke Hunt’s extensive clubs & groups listings covering UK & Ireland; Europe; USA & Canada and Australia & New Zealand for a local group.
- If you need advice on buying an instrument, Barry Maz has a wealth of independent reviews on Got A Ukulele as well as a schedule of uke festivals and other handy info to help get you started.
Good luck & happy strumming!